Having picked up this idea from Sarah Lawless and having no shortage of the raw material in the garden I thought I'd have a go.
It may be only early February but there are plenty of semi dry brambles in the hedge so we won't miss a few. Heavy gloves and some secateurs needed. Still managed to impale myself on a few thorns though.
I left them to dry for a few days before de-thorning. It was suggested I use a florists tool. OK on roses but Somerset brambles are made of tougher stuff! I tried the secateurs but the blades were too thick.
What worked best in the end was my craft knife and a self healing mat.
I tried cutting the brambles to length before de-thorning but found it easier in the end to work with the longer stems. It wasn't a particularly pleasant process though and I was glad to be done with it
Once done I cut then into approximately 6" lengths and left them to soak over night to soften.
I sealed the points were the wool crossed over itself with some melted beeswax to stop them coming undone as the stick smoulders..